Friday, September 9, 2016

Cover Art


Yes! This is my new cover! I just received it from Harlequin for my soon-to-be released book and wanted to share it with you.

I thought I'd chat a bit about the process I go through to get my book cover. Unlike indie books where the author has some input about the cover, Harlequin has a marketing/art department that does that part of the book. They have a form that I fill out that asks about setting, hero, and heroine. They want to know things like~

1. Where my story takes place
2. Hero's hair length, hair color, eye color, style of clothes
3. Ditto for heroine.
4. Several scene suggestions from book that would make a good background for the cover.

For Christmas Kiss from the Sheriff, I used a very familiar setting to me that is near where I grew up and still frequently visit--the back country of San Diego County.

Out of the few scenes from the book that I suggested, they chose the hero and heroine's kiss :-) which happens outside of the town hall on the boardwalk.

I am always tickled to see how close the art department can come to matching my visualization of the story and they always amaze me with how close!

Here are a few of my other "sweet" covers with their respective actor inspirations  and settings~


For The Gunslinger and the Heiress the scene was a pier in San Diego harbor.

For Familiar Stranger in Clear Springs, the scene was a walk along the shore just outside of town.









For the Gunslinger and the Heiress, I asked if they could use a cover model from one of their other books because he was my inspiration ~ sans the long hair! I was so happy that they agreed! I thought he worked out great for the cover.





To see the settings and heroes and additional characters, you might enjoy seeing the Pinterest Board that I make for each book at



I hope you enjoyed this!

You can see excerpts and check out my other covers on my website




3 comments:

  1. I have always loved the behind the scenes process. I've another friend who writes for a large publisher and she has shown how her processs works. Fascinating. Thank you. Angela/Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn,

    Your process of book cover development with Harlequin is fascinating. I love the resemblance between the people/images you used for inspiration and the heroines on your book covers. Locations, too! I've long adored a strong connection of setting on the cover of books (my own and those I've read), and am most pleased when there IS a connection =). Your covers--including the brand new one--are gorgeous. I'm looking forward to reading your new Christmas release! Congrats!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete