Friday, September 8, 2017

My Top Ten Cowboy Sayings

by Kathryn Albright


Howdy! I absolutely love quotes of fall kinds--the wittier, the better.
And cowboy sayings are in a class of their own when it comes to being droll and pithy.
Since many of the books by the Sweet Americana Sweetheart Authors 
are set in the American West, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite cowboy sayings. 
As an author and reader, I love that the sayings are imbued with character and 
attitude and often have double meanings (subtext.) 
That just makes coming across them while reading all the more fun and such a delight!

Take a gander at them and see if there is one that particularly "speaks" to you.

* * * * * * * * * *



*  Never straddle a fence. Build one, or tear it down.

*  Before you go into a canyon, know how you’ll get out.

*  You can’t tell how good a man or a watermelon is till you thump’em.


   
*  If you want to stay single, look for the perfect woman.
    
*  A mail-order marriage is trickier’n braidin’ mule’s tail.
 
*  If the coffee tastes like mud, remember it was ground this morning.
 
*  A man don’t have thoughts about women until he’s thirty-five. ‘Afore then, all he’s got is feelin’s.
   
*  A loose horse is always lookin’ for new pastures.


WHO...ME?

*  If you’ve lived to be 29 and have no enemies, you’re a failure.
   
*  There ain’t much paw or bellow, to a man who’s sure of himself.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I've never used any of these in my writing but they do get me in the mood
 when I'm trying to create a certain character for my story. 

Do you have a favorite saying? I'd love to hear some new (or old) ones!
(It doesn't have to be a cowboy saying, just a favorite of yours.) 

* * * * * * * * * * *

MAIL-ORDER BRIDES OF OAK GROVE - my latest release.

Stop by my website to see all of my books and to sign up for my newsletter!
Connect with me:  Facebook  |  Amazon  |  BookBub


4 comments:

  1. I'm with you Kathryn, I love sayings. Of course I tend to gravitate toward Twain. Since I grew up in the region he did, that may account for it. I think my favorite of all his is "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything". Of course growing up in farming country, 'knee high by the fourth of July' is still pretty popular. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading these. Makes me think of several of my characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One I read just this morning--"He'll do to ride the river with." It means he's a dependable guy. On cattle drives, crossing the river was a dangerous business and cowboys had to completely trust each other. I'm a quote collector. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these says, Kathryn! There are so many good ones!

    ReplyDelete