Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Now or then?



I live in Flowery Branch, Georgia – a northern suburb of Atlanta. Doesn’t the name sound romantic and sweet? Maybe even a little nostalgic. That makes sense considering it’s beginning.

The town started in 1874 and it’s one of the oldest in the county. Originally, it was called Anaguluskee, which sounds much less romantic. But, Anaguluskee is a Cherokee Indian word that means flowers on the branch. Knowing the origin makes me love it even more. If you want to find out a little bit about my little town, the Wiki has some fun details.

This week has not been a romantic week in Flowery Branch, though. What’s left of Hurricane Irma came through on Monday and early Tuesday and knocked us around a bit. Many trees are down and power is out all over the place. Sitting at home Monday night trying to decide what to do by candlelight with no internet and an iPhone battery that was about to die was a bit difficult. 


That’s hard for me to admit. I write historical romance. I should be able to think of something to do when the power’s out. I have an imagination and I’ve done a fair amount of research. I shouldn’t have come up empty! But alas, I have no farm animals to tend to and I didn’t attempt to make supper in the fireplace, thought that would have killed some time. Probably about all of it until bedtime.


I’ve heard from many people that they often feel like they were born in the wrong era. That they would love to live a simpler life even with the many challenges the early pioneers faced. I understand those feelings. Things do get complicated sometimes! It makes sense to wish for days gone by. I think that’s one reason some people love to read historical fiction – especially historical romance.

I get it that it seems romantic to want to go back in time. And I do love those sweet, romantic, nostalgic thoughts. Writing sweet historical romance is a dream come true for me. I absolutely love that my work allows me to get caught up in all the details of the wonderful times and people of the past. The people were captivating and the brave way they faced challenges is inspiring. Scenes like the farm scene here look idyllic and perfect! It makes me want to be there!
 
As a reader, I enjoy the romanticized happenings of the era. While there certainly were difficulties, deaths, and losses too great to quantify, I love a sweet story with a happy ending. It’s okay with me to read a story that doesn’t place all the focus on the hardships. I know I'm not completely typical regarding this.

So here it is. I’m happy to live now. With technology and medical advancements and Starbucks on every corner. I like to get in my car and nip down to the grocery store and be back home in less than a half day. I’ve been thinking about this very thing for a few weeks as I do the final edits on a new story. Then the storm brought it back home in a big way. 

Could I have lived in 1880? Of course, but I’m really glad I didn’t. I hope you won’t hold that against me! Being without power for three days is for the birds! 

What about you? If you could live in 1880, would you time travel to do it?


~~~~~

Annie Boone writes sweet western historical romance with a happy ending guaranteed in every single story. Inspiration comes in many forms and Annie finds more than one way to make her stories entertain and inspire.

To connect with Annie, find her on Facebook, Twitter, or her website.

Follow Annie on Amazon, Bookbub and get email updates.



2 comments:

  1. I agree, it is nice to read and dream about that time, but... Since I also write Medieval stories, even the 1880's sound modern sometimes. *Grin*.

    I am sorry to hear you were without power, but glad there were no injuries. I also love both names for your town. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy living in the 1880s if I could take my central AC with me. :) We're in south Alabama and luckily had no power outage, only limbs down. Glad you made it safely through!

    ReplyDelete